Thursday, November 11, 2010

Morning Assembly

Wow...so what's up at Lincoln?  Who complained about the principal there, and the morning assemblies?

I'll be honest, this is the first I've heard of it; but I always sit up and take notice when citizen comments come from...shall we say, a more diverse group of parents...as opposed to the general PTO-ish cheerleaders.

So, I don't know all the details, but from what I could gather, some parents think it's a waste of time?

Well, for me, I think it's kinda cool to all meet at the start of the day for a quick morning pep-talk.  I was a Terrorette, and so maybe I'm a little biased; but there's not much more *rousing* to me than the sound of a school band doing the whole "let's get rowdy" thang...and the sound of a whole group of kids banging their feet on the bleachers and shouting is just like *WOW*.  I always loved pep assemblies; heck -- I always loved morning announcements.  Things like this didn't necessarily shape my day; but I really feel like it helped me feel like I was part of something bigger than myself; it's called "spirit" -- and if it helps the kids achieve, then so be it; be glad no one's starting out the morning with a (*gulp* dare I say it) prayer. 

And to be recognized in front of everyone at school is just cool.

The cutest little teacher from Lincoln came in and slapped everyone around with a bunch of achievement numbers, and the Lincoln community liaison said it well:  "If parents are upset that their kids didn't earn some sort of recognition, then the parents can recognize and reward their own child themselves."

"Here ya go, Johnny...here's a gold star just for being you."

Anyway, I love school.  I love everything that makes kids love school.  I've only heard good things about Shirley Stevens (or is it Stephens, I dunno), and while I know I'm pretty uninformed on this subject, my gut is to support the principal.  Tell ya one thing for sure:  I didn't see a single soul step up in support of Ms. Herbst.

I love Sandra Mann's black hair, and her eyeglasses are the BEES KNEES y'all.

It was most unfortunate that the next item up was the District's audit and the results thereof.  I tried, and I tried, and I tried...but after three tries, I was out like a light -- as though an enormous Alejandro sandman crooned me a lullaby after covering my face with a cloth dipped in chloroform.  I tell ya, he has his way with me using that exact same tactic time and time again.

So, I'll have to tune in over the weekend to catch all that I missed.

(pssst...you know who you are:  good job.  two weeks in a row.  nice sweater)

No comments:

Post a Comment