Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Dreaming...

I went inside the Adams building last night.

The lights were on in the center of the building, but shut off along each of its three corridors; the blinds were open in each window, however, and daylight spilled across the floors of each of its rooms. Everything was spotless and bright, with colorful pictures painted by kids hung all along the walls.

I walked the halls slowly, examining the artwork thoughtfully…pausing and smiling occasionally. In a few of the rooms was a teacher addressing small groups of parents. As I made my way to the far end of the building, I remember seeing quiet faces of every race, listening attentively as the teacher explained classroom curricula.

The lights were off in the library, but sunlight streamed in through a sort of skylight. I moved silently along the rows and rows and shelves of books, unsure of which was ghost - the library or I. Running my finger along the bindings, brushing off a light dust, glimpsing some of the titles - I suddenly felt like skipping, giddy and heady; felt like spinning in a slow motion arabesque, the dust sparkling in the sunlight all around me, like tiny, twirling coins of silver and gold.


I felt supremely, utterly happy.

Leaving the library, I walked toward the office. The door leading to the pricipal was slightly ajar, and I pushed it open. Sitting at the desk was a Latina Linda Hunt-Stone, hair jet black. She turned to me. “Hello,” we said.

I started. “I can’t believe the building is open; is school actually back in session at Adams?”

“Yes,” said she, to my amazement.

“W-when…how…why…,” I sputtered.

Then, she told me about the charter school that would be occupying the building. “You mean STAR Academy,” I asked…but she said “No,” and began telling me about some crazy-sounding program. I remember thinking, “Huh? How unfair!” But then another part of me was just like “WHO CARES – school’s in at Adams again!!!”

And I didn’t want to wake up…I didn’t want to wake up…

But I’m awake now.

Of course I care – STAR Academy has asked for the past year to utilize all or a portion of the Adams building – with the District ignoring them in a way that can only be described as maddening. STAR has as strong a program as any other District 11 charter school – and anyone claiming otherwise, please explain the following document:

Charter School State Waivers Comparison-1


For whatever reason, the District does not want to see the STAR program succeed, flaunting the law, and denying STAR use of a perfectly good school building; in the meantime, the District is basically trashing the Adams building and – I’m sorry – pissing this parent off to no end.

District 11, I beg you:

GROW A SOUL! GROW A CONSCIENCE! DIG AROUND FOR EVERY RARE SHRED OF DECENCY YOU MIGHT HAVE, AND ALLOW STAR ACADEMY TO UTILIZE THE ADAMS BUILDING! DO THE RIGHT THING FOR STAR ACADEMY, FOR THE ADAMS NEIGHBORHOOD, AND FOR OUR KIDS! RE-OPEN ADAMS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment