Saturday, March 5, 2011

Food Services 911

I was on the phone with a friend yesterday morning -- discussing District 11 contract negotiations, as it just so happened -- when I saw a call coming in from 520-2200.

Well, EVERYONE with a child who attends District 11 schools knows *that's the school calling.*

Indeed, I have three children in District 11 schools...and when a call comes through during the daytime hours, it usually means someone just got hurt or in trouble.

"Oh, oh, oh...someone's calling from the school; I gotta take this call," said I before clicking over hurriedly.  A sick uncertainty swept over me as I heard myself inquire, "Hello?"

Silence.

"Hello??" I asked again.

"Hi, this is _____________.  Sorry to use the school's automated urgent notification system, but I just wanted to let you know about some of the exciting new changes in food services.  Did you know...."

Easily, a three-minute recorded message from So-and-So -- HE'S LUCKY I DIDN'T CATCH HIS NAME -- hawking food services in the middle of the day!

I was pretty outraged.  At the end of the message, a lady said, "Press 7 to hear this message again."  But when I did, I just got disconnected.

That's what the District is, if it uses it's automated urgent notification system in the middle of the day, for such a long and unwarranted, unimportant message:

DISCONNECTED.

No comments:

Post a Comment