Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Devils


So, has anyone taken me up on my wager, and ventured a glance at this film?
I dunno, but I'm awake at 3:37 a.m because of it -- again.
I can't get anyone to watch it, and feel an overwhelming need to discuss it with someone who's seen it.
So, here's a clip, in hopes someone will watch it and feel a similar need to mine own...
Please comment on the movie if you've seen it, I remain disturbed and cannot stop thinking of it.


If you can sit through the parts you think don't matter, 
or seem like unnecessary camp and overdramatization...
I guarantee, you've never seen anything like it and will never forget it...
you'll be the better for having seen it...
even if you can't sleep afterward...




Can't even remember what I was looking up that caused me to stumble across this 1971 film titled "The Devils" -- starring Oliver Reed and Vanessa Redgrave.  Oliver Reed is my "Oliver!" boyfriend, and I always liked the work of Ms. Redgrave.  The brief synopsis sounded interesting, so I decided to download and watch it.

Lessee.  Um.  Uh.  Well...I'm at a complete loss for words.  Suffice it to say I was left disturbed and dumbfounded by the time the credits rolled.  I will have trouble sleeping tonight...and tomorrow night...and yes, Spydra has been scarred for life.

Without a doubt, folks, THE SINGLE MOST TERRIFYING FILM I HAVE EVER SEEN.

I don't much care for scary movies, but this is not your average scary movie...and makes every other horror film I've seen seem like the work of rank amateurs...NOT SCARY...and totally make believe.

I guess this was based on a true story.

FIVE STARS. If you have the cojones, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS FILM.   That's all I'm gonna say about it. 



The Devils is a 1971 horror film directed by Ken Russell. It stars Oliver Reed and Vanessa Redgrave. It is based partially on the 1952 book The Devils of Loudun by Aldous Huxley, and partially on the 1960 play The Devils by John Whiting, also based on Huxley's book. Derek Jarman was responsible for the film's production design.
The film is a dramatised historical account of the Spanish Inquisition; it tells the story of Urbain Grandier, a 17th century French priest executed for witchcraft.
"The Devils" is a highly controversial film which has a history of censorship. The film is a strong condemnnation of religious institutions such as the Catholic Church and organized religion in general. This, combined with its unrelentingly graphic depictions of sex and violence, has led to its history of censorship.


1 comment:

  1. Thomas, Julian and Aldous Huxley were atheists, so it stands to reason a film from Aldous' material is critical of organized religion. Sad that they likely never encountered the true gospel of Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete